Finding Peace, Comfort and Dessert ...

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Best breaded pork chops I've ever had...

are definitely the Ultracrunchy Baked Pork Chops from Cooks Illustrated. Oh.my.Goodness! DH took one bite and said "oh!" so loudly it scared me.. my heart skipped a beat thinking that this new recipe was a failure. But that exclamation was quickly followed by "these are unbelievable!" And then I heaved a sigh of relief.

These are not the breaded 'chops I grew up with. No, sir... not a box of Shake 'n Bake in sight. I, personally, have never been a fan of breaded 'chops because the Shake n'Bake I grew up with was terrible... it was mushy, it didn't have any flavor.. it just grossed me out. (I apologize to any of you whom are devout Shake n'Bakers. I mean no offense!) So for the last 10 years of cooking on my own I have avoided them like the plague. But DH picked this recipe out as part of our weekly meal plan. I am so glad he did! This is another absolutely fabulous recipe from Cooks Illustrated. It came to me in one of my free mini-booklets (which means I can't link you the original). If you haven't checked these people at America's Test Kitchen out yet, you really should. I can't sing enough praises the dishes I've made from them!

This recipe has a few key ingredients that make it better than any other breaded food recipe I've seen. One is the  inclusion of a flavor (in this case spicy mustard) in the egg wash. Why this subtle step hasn't been included in other recipes before is beyond me. The second, and probably the most substantial, ingredient is FRESHLY made bread crumbs. You spice 'em up. You toast 'em. You make 'em delicious. I am a 100% complete convert to the freshly made bread crumbs. I'll never go back to store bought again for anything!

So go on, make these tonight for dinner -- and be prepared to be blown away.

Then be prepared for your family to ask for these again and again. =)

Ultracrunchy Baked Pork Chops


For once, I made this recipe completely as it is written in the book -- there is not a thing I could think of to add to enhance this dish. Its simply delicious! 

Ingredients


4 boneless center-cut pork chops, 6 to 8 ounces each, 3/4 to 1 inch thick,
4 slices hearty white sandwich bread, torn into 1-inch pieces
1 small shallot, minced
3 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
1/4 cup plus 6 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
3 large egg whites
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper
Step 1.
If you are using "enhanced pork" skip this step (your meat has already been brined .. kinda.) Dissolve 1/4 cup salt in 4 cups of water and soak the 'chops for 30 minutes. 

Step 2. 
Preheat the oven to 350. Take the 'chops out of the brine, rinse under cold water and let them rest on a paper towel to dry a little. 

Step 3. 
Take your torn up pieces of bread and toss them in a food processor -- about 8 pulses. (we want coarsely chopped, not a fine powder).

Step 4.
Pour your bread crumbs onto a rimmed baking sheet and toss with the garlic, salt and pepper, olive oil and shallots. Bake until dry and golden, turning every 5 minutes. (total cook time about 15 minutes)

Step 5. 
Let the bread crumbs cool to room temperature. Mix in parmesan, thyme and parsley. 

Step 6. 
Dig out 3 rimmed dishes (I used pie dishes). Pour 1/4 cup flour in the first one. Mix the egg whites, the 6 tablespoons of flour and spicy mustard together in the second, mix until thoroughly combined. . Fill the third with the breadcrumbs. 

Step 7. 
Turn up the oven to 475. Take a oven-safe cooling rack, spray it with cooking spray and fit it inside a cookie sheet. (This keeps the 'chops elevated, so they cook evenly all the way around for a whole chop batter that is super crisp and delicious!).

Step 8. 
Coat the 'chop in the flour, using thongs or your hands, then in the egg wash, then into the bread crumbs. Cover completely and press the bread crumbs in slightly to ensure a good stick and an even coating. Repeat for all 'chops! Place on prepared cookie sheet.

                                                              

Step 9.
Bake for about 25 minutes (or until 150 degrees inside with an instant read thermometer.) Let them rest for 5 minutes. Then dig in! 


I served my 'chops with some roasted asparagus.  -- Super easy! 

Roasted Asparagus

Asparagus is a simple hearty side that is fun, tasty and good for you! I only use sea salt in my kitchen, just a sprinkle really brings out the flavor! 

Ingredients

Olive Oil
Coarse ground salt
Coarse ground pepper
1 bundle of asparagus, bottoms snapped.

Step 1. 
Wash and snap off the bottoms of your asparagus spears. They will snap off themselves, with little effort at about the bottom quarter. This part of the veggie is tough, so most people break it off.

Step 2. 
Drizzle some olive oil in a rimmed cookie sheet, and roll the asparagus around to coat. 

Step 3.
Sprinkle some coarse ground salt and pepper (fresh pepper if you have it and Kosher salt would work too)

Step 4.
Bake at about 475 for 10-15 minutes, or until the desired tenderness is reached. 

mmmmmMMmmmMmmmm! This meal is definitely on my to-do-again list!  I hope you give your breaded pork chops a revival -- I know you will be so glad you did! ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment