Finding Peace, Comfort and Dessert ...

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Slow cooker: Maple Glazed Pork Loin

So I've been graced with ANOTHER phenomenal cookbook from America's Test Kitchen : Slow Cooker Revolution - 200 Slow Cooker Recipes. (Pick up your copy here .. you won't be disappointed!) Man oh MAN I've been so excited to whip out my slow cooker, mostly because I just love it and I love how EASY it makes my life.

This summer has been unbelievably hectic, leaving me next to NO room for field testing new dishes... this cookbook has arrived at the precisely best moment in my life and re-ignited my passions. Oh .. so many dishes... so little time!

I had just about every thing I needed for this dish on hand, except for some real maple syrup. We're an imitation.butter.flavor.kind.of.family, sad... but the kiddo's love it. SO after a quick trip to the store, tots in tow -- loving driving around in the car shaped shopping cart - we were off to a very late start for a slow cooker meal. Time arrived back from the store: 3:40pm! I was worried, I was so looking forward to this dish .. I decided I'd give it a go anyway.  Fully cooked in just 3 hours 20 minutes *whew!*- it was sweet, soft, juicy and delicious. BUT I cooked a much smaller 2 lb loin. The recipe, which I've shared below, calls for a 4-5 pound loin -so be better than me and practice good time management if you are preparing this for a bigger crowd!


Maple Glazed Pork Loin

This dish is sweet with just the perfect little kick - sure to wow your whole family over!

Ingredients:

1 4-5lb boneless Pork Loin (mine was only 2lbs)
2 Tablespoons Veggie Oil
1 White Onion, minced
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
1/8 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1 Cup Maple Syrup (Grade A dark)
1/2 Cup Chicken Stock
Salt n Pepper


Step 1.
Dry the pork with some paper towels and give it a nice coating of salt and pepper.

Step 2.
Heat 1 tablespoon of veggie oil in a skillet and brown both sides of your loin. This will get the process started and deepen the flavors in the dish. Put the loin in the slow cooker.



Step 3.
Add the other tablespoon of veggie oil to the skillet and toss in the onion, cinnamon, cloves, cayenne and a dash of salt & pepper. Saute until the onion is softened, about 8 minutes.

Step 4.
Enjoy the wondrous fragrance now filling your kitchen.




Step 5.
Add in the maple syrup and the chicken stock. Mix well, scraping up any brown bits off the bottom of your skillet. Just heat through, then poor of the waiting loin in the slow cooker.

Step 6.
Cover and cook on low for about 4 hours .. or until an instant read thermometer says 140-145. This is the perfect temperature for pork and ensuring this step will keep the loin from drying out and/or falling apart.

Step 7.
Turn the slow cooker off. Remove loin from the cooker and let it rest, tented with foil or semi covered in a dish, for 10 minutes.

Step 8.
After letting the liquid sit for a minute, skim the fat off the top.

Step 9.
Transfer the liquid to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the mixture is reduced to about a cup a half.

Step 10.
Slice the pork while you're waiting.

Step 11.
Pour reduction over the loin and serve this sweet delicious pork with your favorite sides!

Had to show you again! Deeelicous! 

We had ours with made from scratch mashed potatoes and my favorite rosemary roasted broccoli. Definitely a family favorite! I hope everyone out there is enjoying their summers - and finding time to relax with a tall cool glass of lemonade by the pool. I know I'm trying to find time to!

No comments:

Post a Comment