Finding Peace, Comfort and Dessert ...

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A European dinner...

Thankfully today was less chaotic than yesterday but just as stressful. Looking for a job that utilizes my upcoming bachelor's degree is exhausting! But I gave my first job fair a good run, and even applied for a few jobs. I'll chalk  it up to a great learning experience and keep my hopes up and out there for a job I enjoy ... (Any chance Rachel Ray would show up at my house and want me to co-host? ;) )

Because I knew I was going to have a busy and draining morning I set out an easy slow-cooker beef dish. This recipe is super simple, its something most people have tried. I served my French Onion Soup Beef Roast with freshly made Yorkshire Puddings and peas.

French Onion Soup Beef Roast (Slow Cooker)

I like using the can of French Onion Soup over using a powder for one reason alone. Its less salty. I've made the recipes that call for the package and a dash of water and wine. And tasting that is what I imagine the Dead Sea would taste like -- nothing but salt. So this is my go-to mix for the most tender make-your-house-smell-like-heaven beef roast. 

Ingredients:

1 can Campbell's French Onion Soup
2 cloves of Garlic (minced)
1 Shallot (halved and sliced thin)
2-4 lb beef roast (I always get a round roast, but get your cut of choice!)

Step 1.
Dig out your slow cooker.

Step 2.
Put the beef in the slow cooker, pour the soup over it. Toss in the garlic and top with the shallots. Set on LOW for 6-7 hours!

Step 3.
Enjoy the aroma filling your house and torment those who live with you with a long wait for their delicious beef. =)

Yorkshire Pudding

These could not be any easier. Really! There is a 'special' pan you can use to make them in, you can find it for sale here. I don't have that pan, so I made mine in a muffin tin like the recipe I used. (which can be found in original form here. ) You can also just make the pudding in a large square dish, which is the traditional method of baking them. Here is an example of that.

Ingredients:

3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp butter (melted)
1-2 Tbsp of beef drippings *optional*

Step 1.
Preheat the oven to 375. Whip the eggs and milk together until light and frothy.

Step 2. 
Gently combine the flour with the milk/egg mixture. Mix in the butter.

Step 3. 
Let rest on the counter until the oven is done preheating.

Step 4. 
This is where the optional part comes in. Using a well greased tin, you can choose to just pour the batter in, or you can precede the batter by adding a about a teaspoon of beef drippings into the pan before pouring the batter. 

Step 5.
Bake at 375 for 5 minutes. Then turn the oven down to 350 and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes or until golden and fluffy. They will collapse in the center when you remove them to let them cool. 

Step 3.
Serve alongside your beef roast for a very tasty and culturally diverse dish! ;)











 Happy Wednesday!

3 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I tried yorkshire pudding once, but we didn't like it. However, you muffin sized servings make me think I should try it again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father in law makes yorkshire puddings in muffin tins....this way there is less fighting over the portions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read other postings online -- custard cups are popular as well!

    ReplyDelete