Finding Peace, Comfort and Dessert ...

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hunter's Chicken and a botched cookie attempt.

So today was a bit of a disaster for me ... First, I ran around like crazy for 2 hours this morning thinking it was Wednesday. I hurried to grab a shower and be presentable to the other wives I was going to meet for a play-date at 1030. THEN I had to come up with a dish to bring to the play-date because it was potluck. I decided on these mini sandwich cookies because I had all the ingredients on hand. *In hindsight, I should have gone with my first idea - a new twist on a staple of mine: 7-layer dip. This recipe called for fresh Pico de Gallo and avocados... I'll have to share that one later...*

My first mistake was attempting to make a new recipe right before I needed to be somewhere. My second mistake was attempting to BAKE something in the hour before I needed to be somewhere. My third mistake of the morning was baking for the FIRST TIME with a gas oven the day of an event that required my attendance. So, I ended up shooting the hostess a Facebook message telling her we would be late, burned my first batch of the cookies, and almost cried because of my poor planning. Then the hostess wrote me back: the play-date is tomorrow. 

I heaved a humongous sigh of relief. I hadn't potentially ruined a first impression! ... Then I laughed at myself for freaking out when it was the wrong day. Then I told DH that he needs to go back to work so my sense of time gets back on track. Then we went to Lowe's and I pondered fixes for my cookie sandwiches. And things went smoothly for the rest of my Tuesday.

Tonight's dinner is a new recipe, brought to you by my new booklet America's Best Lost Recipes. Its a one-pan dish from stove top to oven, and I love these kinds of dishes. Its not for a non-meat eater, though. Its chicken, the second most garlic I've seen in a recipe and bacon. The only recipe I've seen so far with more chicken is Chicken with 40 Cloves and I've yet to attempt it.

Ok, time to dive in!

Hunter's Chicken

Ingredients:

1.5 lbs Split Chicken Breasts
4-5 slices of Bacon (chopped)
20 cloves of Garlic (minced or sliced thin)
2 Tbsp Sweet Paprika
5 Shallots (halved and sliced thin)
1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
1 can diced Tomatoes (the original recipe calls for 3 fresh tomatoes, diced and cored .. but I didn't have any)
2.5 cups Chicken Stock
1.5 cups Long Grain Rice
2 Bay Leaves
2 Tbsp fresh Lemon Juice
Salt and Pepper

Step 1.
In a large oven safe skillet, cook the bacon until crispy. Set it aside on a paper towel. Preheat the oven to 375.

Step 2.
Pat the chicken dry and season the way you like. Using the same skillet as the bacon, with all that deliciousness in it, cook the chicken 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.  Set the chicken aside on a  plate to rest.

Step 3.
Toss in the shallots and saute for a few minutes, until tender. Then add in the garlic and paprika, sauteeing until fragrant.

Step 4.
Add the tomato paste to the shallots and garlic, then add in the diced tomatoes. Simmer until the juices have evaporated, about 2 minutes.

Step 5.
Add the stock, lemon juice, rice and bay leaves and bring to a simmer.

Step 6.
Nestle the chicken into the skillet. Bring back up to a simmer, then place the skillet in the oven.

Step 7.
Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the chicken is done and the rice is tender. Let the dish rest and cool for 5 minutes, then sprinkle that bacon on top and serve!











Personally, I thought this dish could use a little spice. Maybe a dash of red pepper flakes, or trading out the sweet paprika for hot. A sprinkling of fresh herbs would be a lovely addition too -- some basil would add a little pizazz. But made as is, the chicken is very tender, the dish is very fragrant and even my toddler ate it! It's definitely a comforting dish! 



I did get the chance to re-try the mini sandwich cookies, and I was successful. I did run out of time tonight to complete the process, so I will share that recipe with you tomorrow! I am thankful I got it right the second time around!

I hope everyone else had a great Tuesday! ;) <3 

2 comments:

  1. I love today's post!!! There's something therapeutic when you are able to laugh at yourself. I too have problems keeping track of time when DH doesn't go to work. Hunter's chicken is a recipe I have wanted to try. I did try cooks country Chicken with 40 cloves. I remember liking it but it was a little too much for the fam. Your recipe is a different though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy! Sign me up for that 7-layer dip for sure!!! :)

    ReplyDelete