Finding Peace, Comfort and Dessert ...

Monday, December 20, 2010

Candied Almonds and Chocolate Truffles!

As my escapade in holiday baking continues, I realize how much little tools come in handy. Like a teaspoon cookie scoop... or a stand mixer. I really want a stand mixer. If for no other reason than to keep the powdered sugar and cocoa powder from repainting my kitchen for me. I'm not a huge fan of edible walls... really. I mean, Willy Wonka had some great ideas, but that's not one I want to hold on to.

These recipes do excite me tho. First, candied almonds. I.love.almonds. They are by far my favorite -- I put them in everything I can, and will substitute them for other kinds of nuts. Candied almonds are a step above just plain almonds ... well because they are coated in cinnamon and sugar. And they are my favorite snack at fairs! They are mildly costly at the fair tho, here is a simple and delicious way to make them at home for yourself anytime! This recipe comes from TastyKitchen.com, the companion site to thepioneerwoman.com, I modified it slightly to compensate for the pounds of almonds I had.


Cinnamon & Sugar Candied Almonds

Ingredients:
3 cup White Sugar
4 Tablespoons Ground Cinnamon
3 whole Egg Whites
3  teaspoons Real Vanilla
1/2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
48 ounces, weight Whole, Raw Almonds

Step 1.
Preheat your oven to 300 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly butter. 

Step 2.
Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a bowl and set aside. 

Step 3.
In a large bowl, whisk the egg white until slightly frothy. Stir in the vanilla and salt. 

Step 4.
Add the almonds to the egg mixture and toss to coat. Then pour the almonds into the cinnamon and sugar, toss to coat. 

Step 5.
Spread onto the baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes, remove and toss, place back in the oven for 12 more minutes. Remove one last time, toss and bake for 7 additional minutes. Let cool slightly on the pan before snacking!

Then enjoy the deliciousness you won't be able to put down!! 

For the second baking goal with my wonderful friend Meagan here to visit was Chocolate Truffles. These are so easy, its not even funny. They are sooo scrumptious.. so soft and rich its like your own little chunk of heaven. And what makes them EVEN easier to make is the use of the teaspoon truffle scoop I got this year as an early Christmas present. Ah-may-zing!  We coated our truffles in two kinds of chocolate: White Mint and Milk Chocolate. We also had a blasty-blast decorating them with different drizzles and some crushed peppermints. 

But enough drooling and ogling over the finished creations.. here's the scoop on how we did it!

Chocolate Truffles 

Ingredients:
8 ounces, weight (up To 9 Oz.) Good Semisweet Chocolate
8 ounces, weight (up To 9 Oz.) Good Bittersweet Chocolate
1 can (14 Oz) Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
8 ounces, weight MeltingMilk Chocolate
Sea Salt or crushed Peppermints and melted chocolate for drizzling


Step 1.Heat the dark chocolates and condensed milk in a double boiler over medium low heat (if you don't have one, use a glass Pyrex bowl over a sauce pan small enough to hold the base of the bowl without it touching the water) until chocolate is melted. Stir it all up, it will look and feel a little bit like marsh mellows. Stir in the vanilla.
Step 2.
Remove from heat, cover with some plastic wrap and refrigerate for two hours.

Step 3.
Once chilled, roll in balls using a teaspoon size cookie scoop (or your hands, but that gets pretty messy), then roll in melted milk chocolate coating (make sure the melted chocolate isn't too hot, it will melt the insides.)

We discovered through a different post on PW's site about using NON-latex powder free plastic glove covered hands to coat the truffles. This method was much faster than the dipping and tapping. ... Now if only I could devise a way to pour the chocolate, that would be best. But alas I don't have any industrial stuff in my kitchen. Just man...er.. woman power. Plus, the glove method really gives the truffles a home-made look and texture.. which I thought was really pretty. 

Step 4. 
Sprinkle with sea salt or crushed peppermints or other sprinkles of your choice. We coated our truffles in white mint chocolate and topped them with crushed starlight mints and some red melting chocolate and we coated some in milk chocolate and decorated them with more drizzled milk chocolate, the red chocolate and white.

Meagan and I had a great time making these simple yet deeeelicious treats! I hope you do too -- you'll win over crowds! 
Happy Holiday Sweets!

4 comments:

  1. And you made me dip and tap those brownie bites *sob*

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about the glove method! I just learned it! Next time, we'll use gloves. Its fun, less time consuming, and doesn't involve spearing chocolates! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I just got my truffles in the mail....WE ARE SO MAKING THOSE IN MARCH/APRIL!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds perfect! We can get some easter colors! ;)

    ReplyDelete