Finding Peace, Comfort and Dessert ...

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Nothing beats a hot bowl of soup....

So a nasty bug has been floating around here for about 2 weeks. Everyone I know has gotten it, especially those with kids. Even my friends across the Atlantic have managed to catch it! My boy has finally gotten over it, just in time for his sister and I to fall victim. It seems there is a timeless association with soup and recovery. Mom's have been shouting it for ever! There's just something about the velvety texture of a soup that warms the depths and chases away the aches and pains. In recent years, I've taken an interest in making my own soups. I started by just tossing ingredients in the slow cooker and seeing what happened. I had some successes (Campfire Stew) and some failures (Turkey and Lima Bean Stew). The recipe I made last night definitely falls into the category of successes.

Now, I love tomato soup. A classic, and I was totally satisfied with the Campbell's variety for many many years. Until my glorious teacher Yoga training, where I was introduced to some made-from-scratch tomato soup. Ohhhh it was divine! It was spicy and a bit tangy and exactly perfect. Far far better than any canned variety.

Since my first taste I've made several of my own versions. After a year now, I've settled on the one I am going to share with you. Its loaded with basil and garlic, a dash of red pepper flakes and a good shake or two of salt. Mmmmmmm.....

Roasted Roma Tomato Soup

 Ingredients:

3 lbs Roma tomatoes, sliced in half.
2.5 oz fresh basil leaves
2 cups chicken or veggie stock
5 cloves fresh minced garlic
1/2 chopped onion
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 can tomato paste
2 8oz cans of tomato sauce
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
Olive oil

Step 1.
Preheat the oven to 375. Rinse and slice the tomatoes in half, and line them (cut side up) on a cookie sheet. Give a generous coating of olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for about 45 minutes. (The will look dried out, edges turning a bit brown. Not too much tho!) Allow to cool to room temperature.

Step 2.
Saute the garlic and onions in a bit of olive oil until fragrant and tender, about 5 minutes.

Step 3.
Place tomatoes, onion, garlic, and basil (yes, all of it!) in a food processor and blend until totally pureed.

Step 4.
Put the tomato basil mixture in a large sauce pan, adding the stock, tomato paste, tomato sauce and red pepper flakes. Mix until well combined and then bring to a boil. Once the soup is boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for an hour, stirring occasionally. Taste every now and then, adding salt and pepper as desired.

Step 5.
Make some grilled cheese sammiches... (this step is optional, but they go so well together!)

And then enjoy!  This was the perfect comfort we needed for these cold December nights, and it was just what the doctor ordered!

1 comment: