Finding Peace, Comfort and Dessert ...

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Thirsty Thursdays!

So I'm sitting here, sipping on my glass of Sutter Home Moscato (uhh.. yum!) and its quiet. The quiet is nice, but I also know that because its quiet I should be working my way into my warm bed. Instead I find myself searching the internet, trying to get a smidgen of my homework done and piddling away the hours doing whatever I want because I'm the only one awake. I didn't accomplish nearly the volume of things I wanted to do today. I did wash Lily's diapers... but I did not fold the 4 loads of laundry I have stuffed into one screaming-for-help laundry basket. I did do the dishes, but they need to be done again. I did do some grocery shopping... and then I get home and remember the 10 other things I needed but didn't buy. Such is the life!

I did pick up a few crafting items I needed at Hobby Lobby. Oh man, I.love.Hobby.Lobby. I got some more boxes I needed to finish putting together the Christmas treat packages I'm sending to my friends and family (the opening desserts for what will one day be my business), picked up some yarn and knitting needles so I can teach myself to knit (like I don't have enough projects), some felt to make an Advent Calendar for my new arrival and the obligatory Christmas ornament I buy yearly. Something unique and unlike the ones already on my tree. Oh, and it has to be red, green or silver/white. No other colors make it on to my tree. Sorry. I know, I'm neurotic.

*Sip... ahh* Sorry, kind of went off on one of those downward spiral moments there. Today was a good day, despite feeling like I didn't get as much done as I wanted to.

Yoga with the Girls!
Today finishes the second week of my re-started teaching practice. We had a shorter session, I wanted to have a little more time for some TLC for the ladies. They deserve some body work, and the chance to really sink deep in to that quiet place during Savasana. We focused on spinal flexion and extension, ending finally in a glorious wheel. I love back-bends. They warm your heart and soul. All the negativity flows out of you, from the center of your spine down through your fingers and your feet as they melt into the Earth and your heart lifts effortlessly towards the sky. Its awe inspiring, freeing, opening, and wondrous. Its all the things I want to carry with me daily.

After 3 days of Yoga in a row, I have to admit that I am SORE! I'm sore everywhere and I.love.it! I'm so proud of myself (insert tooting horn here) -- just 9 weeks after having my daughter I'm close to my pre-pregnancy weight, developing a good workout routine and fit back into my first pair of skinny jeans. Yoga is the key!


Dinner!
This evening we had another of my Hubby's favorites: Steak Gorgonzola. Now, you might be thinking "A cheese sauce? On my precious steak? Blasphemy!" But you would be wrong. Its amazing. Its so amazing that the Hubby asks for it for several days in a row, and when he came home for lunch and saw steaks on the counter he got a little jolt of excitement. I could see the light (and the hunger) in his eyes when he asked me what was for dinner, upon his arrival at home for the evening. "Steak Gorgonzola", I said. "Yes!", he said -- and he even clapped. Steak Gorgonzola is another dish we had the pleasure of being introduced to in Bosnia, at the Sarajevska Pivari (Sarajevo Brewery). It was served with Sopska Salat (a kind of red/green pepper, cucumber salad with olive oil, vinegar, and feta. I'll tell you more about that one later), mashed potatoes and steamed veggies. It was simply amazing.

Now, a lot of sauces require a lot of work. Not this one. The only thing you need to watch out for is the cream boiling over -- 'cause that will happen in an instant. And it happened to me twice tonight. No biggie, the stove is washable. (Darnit, I need to do that too!)

Here's the recipe tho, sweet, simple and absolutely divine!

Steak Gorgonzola

4 of your favorite cut of steak. (I personally like a really thick cut fillet, but you can use whatever cut you like.)
4 cups of heavy whipping cream
4 ounces Gorgonzola crumbles
3 tbsp fresh grated Parmesan
3/4 tsp kosher salt (You don't want to go overboard, the cheeses are salty)
3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 tbsp fresh minced parsley

Step 1.
In a medium sauce pan, bring the cream to a boil over medium-high heat. Once the cream is boiling, continue to boil rapidly for about 40 minutes, or until it is reduced by half and thick. Be very wary of the cream boiling over, it requires your attention every couple of minutes.


 Step 2.
Once the cream is boiling, coat your steaks with a good sprinkling of olive oil, salt and fresh pepper.  Salting the steak gives it a nice crunchy exterior after being grilled. After you have let the steaks rest in their salty, oily, peppery dish for about a half an hour, throw them on the grill (or grill pan) and cook to your liking.



Yes, my whisk has a gingerbread man in it.Isn't it cute?!

    



Step 3. 
The cream should be nice and thick now. Off the heat, stir in the parsley, cheeses, salt and pepper. Whisk briskly until its all melty and smooth and smelling glorious. Serve warm, right on top of your steaks. And enjoy! ... And then enjoy the left overs!


Now, there will be quite a bit of the sauce left, and it will keep for about a week. When you want to use it again, just head it in a sauce pan on low until its smooth again, whisking to bring all the ingredients back together.
Even Lily cheered for this one!

I served this dish with mashed potatoes and peas. And ate every bit of it! Hubby ate all of his too, and had a very happy look on his face afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment